Explosion Reported At Burning, Collapsing Home In South County: Officials
HARWOOD, MD - A Friday fire brought a Harwood home to the brink of collapse, officials said. Nobody was hurt.
A neighbor called 911 to report hearing an explosion around 7:25 a.m. in the unit block of Trail End Road.
First responders said they found a cut-up, single-family home on fire and starting to collapse.
The home was located far from the nearest fire hydrant, so crews called for a tanker truck to provide the water.
Firefighters said they set up a defensive operation because of the chance of collapse.
A team of 66 said they controlled the flames in about an hour.
Investigators said the sole occupant was not home during the fire.
Officials also said the small explosions heard were a result of the blaze.
The cause and area of origin are still under investigation.
The home did not have any smoke detectors, investigators said.
The Anne Arundel County Fire Department thanked these agencies for their assistance:
- Annapolis Fire Department
- Naval Support Activity Annapolis Fire Department
- Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department
The Anne Arundel County Police Department and Baltimore Gas & Electric were also on the scene.
More News from Edgewater
- 4 New Businesses Opening Soon At Annapolis Town Center Four new businesses are opening soon at the Annapolis Town Center. The openings include a healthy restaurant and a popular makeup store.
- New Restaurant Opens In Annapolis, Smashing Grapes Converted Into The Lodge A new restaurant just opened in Annapolis. Smashing Grapes was converted into The Lodge, a rustic eatery with farm-fresh food.