Friday, January 11, 2013
The local fire department wants you and your family to avoid tragedy as you prepare to pack up your holiday gear.
The holidays can bring some of the most joyous times of the year, but Division Chief Keith Swindle of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department said that the weeks that follow are some of the most dangerous when it comes to house fires. “A heightened awareness of fire and home safety is imperative,” Swindle said in a recent press release. “The introduction of new items (decorations) during the holidays, (many of which are combustible) into the homes increases the risk of fire and personal hazards.” To help local residents avoid tragedy following the holidays, the fire department released an extensive list of safety tips to ensure families appropriately address potential fire hazards. Below is a summary of that list.
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
On Tuesday, an unidentified woman floated out into the Chesapeake Bay on a raft with no oars.
According to Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesman Chief Michael Cox, a woman was rescued in the Chesapeake Bay on Tuesday after the raft she was relaxing in was carried into the shipping channel by the current. Cox said that the woman left shore from a friend's house in Shady Side. She was in a raft with no oars. Cox said that the woman, whose identity was not given to the media, is an out-of-towner staying with friends in Shady Side. Around 1:30 p.m. the friend called Fire and Rescue to Columbia Beach Road at Robinson Road in Shady Side to report that her friend had drifted far out into the Bay and needed to be rescued. "The lady on the raft had a phone and could call her friend," Cox said. Crews from Anne Arundel County Fire and…
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Morning fire in the 5900 block of 1st Street sends three to hospital.
According to Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesman Steve Thompson, a fire that started in a bedroom of a home in the 5900 block of 1st Street in Deale around 9:46 a.m. on Tuesday was under control just 20 minutes later. A family of three, a 34-year-old man, a 33-year-old woman and a 4-year-old boy were taken to the hospital as a precaution for evaluation and possible smoke inhalation. The Red Cross was called to assist the family.