South River Federation
Located in the Oak Grove Marina Office Tower and next to the Yellowfin Restaurant, the South River Federation office is accessible via the service road. With the office overlooking the very waters it protects, it's easy to see how this hard working team of professionals remains dedicated to their mission of protecting the South River.
Testing water quality, bacteria sampling, advocating for restoration, implementing education and outreach policies, and even policing efforts with state environmental agences are just a few of the activities the South River Federation undertake to maintain the safety of our watershed. With a focus on not just protecting and restoring the river but moreover celebrating the diversity of the river and its living community, the federation relies on the volunteer efforts of 400 to 500 people and a small dedicated staff of three.
It's not all work, though. Kayak trips, stream clean-ups, rain garden construction and oyster gardening are just some of the activities in which members and non-members alike may participate. To learn more about the South River Federation, check out the website and become a volunteer.
- Fax: 410-224-0364
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm; Sat - Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Ramp up to the door
- Founding Date: 1999
- What makes this community special?: This community recognizes the importance of clean water and steps up to take action on projects that protect their watershed. They are engaged on multiple levels as volunteers and as donors.
- Parking: Free lot
- Mission: To protect, preserve, restore and celebrate the South River and its interdependent living community.
- Annual dues: Family $50; Individual $25
- Membership requirements: N/A
- Meetings: Quarterly