The following information was submitted to Patch by Sharon Poet the South County Senior Center Director.
The South County Senior Center in Edgewater announces the following upcoming events:
- “Spring Class Registration" begins for classes starting the week of April 8th. Registration forms will be accepted at the Center through March 11.
Feb. 5, 10 a.m.
- “LegsWork Presentation by Center for Vein Restoration” The LegsWork program is an interactive session that will discuss the necessary steps to keep one's leg veins healthy as one ages. Unhealthy leg veins are a serious issue that affect 50 percent of woman over the age of 50 and 30 percent of men. This condition can lead to tired, heavy and achy legs. In addition individuals with this problem often have big bulging leg veins, leg swelling by the end of the day and lower leg ulcers.
Feb. 6, 1 p.m.
- “My Mother Told Me: A Tribute to African American Women” Actress Debra Mims transforms into Grandmother Sally Kathryn Mims who is searching through an old trunk in her attic. Each item she pulls out sparks a memory of days past and of courageous black women and their struggle to be free, to vote, and to get an education. Using monologues, poetry, and songs, Debra leads the audience in this highly interactive walk through an important part of America’s history.
Feb. 12, 10 a.m.
- “Chefs on the Go” - “Mediterranean Style Menu” The first course will be Italian Fennel, Cucumber, and Chicory Salad, followed by Three Bean Moroccan Stew served with pita bread. Turkish Cream Filled Apricots rounds out the meal. Sign up in advance and pay a $3 supply fee.
Feb. 13, 10 a.m.
- “Fun, Flirty Faces” Valentine’s Day is coming and now’s your chance to look your best! Theresa Robinson, a Mary Kay consultant, will be here to do hand and lip softening, a facial, a foundation match, and cheek and lip highlighting. Space is limited, sign up at the front desk.
Feb. 13, 10 a.m. to noon
- “Seated Massage” Sign up at the front desk for a free 10 minute seated massage by Lillian M. Elliott, Professional Massage Therapist.
Feb. 13, noon
- “Ice Cream Social” Bring $2 for a delicious ice cream sundae. Proceeds benefit the Hearts of Gold FUNdrasiers.